To someone, a cat or a dog could be a great source of joy and companionship. But sadly, it could also be a host to pests. And among the many kinds of parasites that it could bring in are the fleas. So if you have any cat or dog or if you plan to get one, see to it that you know the best flea control method or you will have to deal with a lot of health problems.
What Are Fleas?
Fleas are basically wingless creatures that live through hematophagy. That means they need to feed on blood to keep on living. And in that sense, they are like bed bugs.
But take note, though fleas are common on pets, that doesn’t make humans safe from them. You and many other warm-blooded animals are also susceptible to their attack.
Among the other animals that they could make as their hosts are chickens, rabbits, squirrels, rats, ferrets, and mice.
Fleas and Bed Bugs
The fact that fleas are an annoyance and that they also feed on blood is the major thing that tied them with bed bugs.
However, when it comes to health risks, fleas are worse than bed bugs. While the sneaky bed bugs do not transfer any disease, fleas could transmit a number of them as Yersinia pestis, Rickettsia typhi and Bartonella henselae.
And that’s not all. Apart from the rashes that flea bites could cause, they could also lead to hair loss, impotence and even anemia. And with those risks, you have more than enough reasons to determine and learn the best flea treatment.
Before you could successfully get rid of the fleas though, you must know first what exactly they look like and where exactly they hide.
But why do you have to know how they look? Well, as with any other pests, knowing their appearance will help correctly identify them. And with that, you could determine the best flea control method that you would implement.
In return, with that most appropriate flea treatment identified, you could execute a truly effective elimination process. That saves you from unproductive treatment methods, which, consequently, spare you from waste of time and money.
How Do Fleas Look Like?
So how do fleas look like? Well, as mentioned they are wingless. They are also dark-colored with a tube-like mouth for the sucking of blood. Their legs are long though the hind pair is the longest as it is what allows them to jump and move.
Read the Latest Flea-Related News[ic_google_news refresh=”every day at 8:00″ keyword=”fleas”]
As said, next to their appearance, you must also know where the fleas hide. This step will help you apply your flea solution spot on the pests.
Nonetheless, take note that you must look not just for adult fleas. Your inspection must also cover the larvae and the eggs of them. The reason? It’s because months after you killed the adults, if you leave the eggs and larvae behind, they will continue to grow and will start another infestation. That will bring you back to square one prompting you to spend more money and time for their elimination.
Because fleas live on their hosts, you might think that dogs, cats and other warm-blooded animals, in addition to yourself, are the only ones that you must inspect. Wrong. You have to remember that they are jumpers. That means they could also be in the sleeping or playing areas of their hosts. And because the adults of them usually just leave their eggs on their hosts, there is also a huge chance that they will roll off to the floor and other areas of your house as you or your pet move around.
Particularly, you must look at the cracks and crevices of your house when searching for the said pests. That’s because their larvae are apparently blind and they avoid sunlight after emerging from the eggs. And so, they mostly keep themselves in dark places.
Your Flea Treatment Options
So now that you know what fleas look like and where you will most likely see them, let’s just assume that you already confirmed their presence. And given that they could increase their number in phenomenal rate with their females able to lay 20 or more eggs a day, you know you got to get rid all of them quick.
But the question is – which of the available elimination methods should you implement. Which of them is the best flea control method that will benefit you the most?
Before we answer that though, let’s a look first at your options.
Generally, there are three ways of how you could take care of your flea problems – hire a flea exterminator, use a pesticide solution or spray a non-pesticide product.
- Hire an Exterminator – this option is probably the easiest of the three. However, it is also the most expensive. Sure, you wouldn’t have to do anything to get rid of the said insects as there are many out there that offer their services. However, you will need to make up for it with your money. So, if you are in a tight budget, this is not the best flea treatment for you to take.
- Use a Pesticide Solution – there are several chemical-based solutions that you could use to get rid of the fleas. Some of them, you may apply on the hosts while others you need to spray on the surrounding areas. But the thing is, most of the pesticide-control products are made with chemicals. With those chemicals, the use of the solutions could be hazardous to your health than the fleas themselves.
- Spray a Non-Pesticide Product – don’t get confused. The non-pesticide product here also refers to a pest-control solution made specifically for fleas. It is just called a non-pesticide because it doesn’t follow the common formulation of a pesticide. Instead of the chemical ingredients, organic elements are used to produce the products. And so, they are also called as the green cleaners.
Which Is The Best Flea Treatment?
The enumerated three ways to get rid of the fleas could all effectively work. The question is not if they could produce positive outputs. Rather, it is “which of them is the best flea control method that you must execute.”
Each of the three techniques has its own pros and cons. Here are their major advantages and disadvantages:
- Hiring a pro to get the job done offers you an effortless way to get rid of the fleas. However, the big amount it requires makes it the least option to consider if you tightening the belt.
- Strong as the chemical-based flea solutions are, they could deliver quick results. But the downside is that they could put your health and anyone else’s at risk.
- As natural flea control remedies, non -pesticide flea sprays are viewed as too gentle solutions to kill the fleas. Nonetheless, that’s notexactly the case. Organic-based solutions were already proven effective not just by home owners but also by pest-control companies. And with the additional environmental and health benefits that they offer and the growing trend of green cleaning, the use of them is actually the best flea control method that you could implement
But What Exactly Is the Best Organic-Based Flea Spray?
There is no denying that going green is now a worldwide trend. And one o
f its result is the rise in the number of organic-based pest-sprays, including those for fleas. However, only a few of them could truly deliver a safe and effective flea elimination process. And among them, Flea Bully is one that could back up its claim of safety and effectiveness.
Only initially used by pest-control companies, it is now available to the public thanks to its new licensing agreement. With that and the fact that you don’t risk your health or anyone’s else by using it, you could now solve your flea problems without having to evacuate and needing to spend big.