Tenants of one storage facility in New York thought their belongings were safe in their rented units. However, what it delivered was exactly the opposite of what it offered.
According to a report from wbng.com, the Heritage Self Storage Facility in Union, New York was ravaged by black mold. It was found to have serious water leak problems, which were the cause of the mold issues. Apart from that, it was also said to have major safety concerns as exposed wiring. It was added that even its detectors and fire extinguishers were not properly inspected.
One tenant of the facility, Anthony Garcia, shared that he and his family were paying for their unit $170 per month for more than two years. However, instead of securing their valuables, it destroyed them. He stated that about 40 percent of their things in the storage was damaged. A number of their belongings they had to throw away and some of them worth more than money, he said.
Because of the mold infestation and the complaints against the storage facility, the Town of Union closed it on January 15th. However, its owner, who is based in Utah, claimed he was only a victim of fraudulent reports.
Read more about Storage Facility in New York Closed Down Due to Mold
“A collapsing ceiling, black mold, and other safety violations have moved the Town of Union to close the Heritage Self Storage Facility.
It’s a business that promised to keep tenants’ units high and dry, but left renters that way instead.”
Read more about New York Storage Facility Shut Down Because of Mold Problems at: wbng.com
Moisture triggers mold growth. And with the leak problems found in Heritage Self Storage Facility, it was not a wonder why the things stored in there were damaged by mold.
However, as you know already, leaks are more common in houses. And what that means is you should be more attentive to mold growth in your home. You need to treat it promptly and properly if you want to save your valuables from its damages and yourself and other people you care about from its health risks.
Sure thing, hiring an exterminator is your best mold remediation option. But the thing is, it is also the most expensive. For an effective yet inexpensive mold removal, try Molderizer instead. And it got a bonus. Apart from being affordable and effective, it is also a safe mold spray as it is made with organic-based ingredients.