Bed bugs made a victim out of yet another housing. This time, they unloaded problems to Alton Housing Authority.
A report said that so far, the company already spent $35,000 for bed bug spray treatment and thinking if this is the right way on how to get rid of bed bugs. And as its fight against the bloodsuckers is not yet over, that amount could still increase.
AHA already informed its tenants about the small but pesky creatures roaming in its apartments. And according to the company’s Executive Director Andy Hightower, the city and county officials were also alerted of the predicament.
To get rid of bed bugs, Alton Housing Authority hired an exterminator, it was said. Hightower stated that their employees also attended a training session on bed bugs. And as he added, they would continue to meet with the residents to discuss the problem.
Read more about Bed Bugs Costing Alton Housing Authority
“The Alton Housing Authority continues its efforts to eradicate infestations of bedbugs in its apartments, having spent $35,000 on the extermination so far this spring
“It is a bad situation,” AHA Executive Director Andy Hightower said. “Residents visit each other” and can spread the pesky blood-ingesting insects or their eggs between apartments.
The parasites can travel on clothing, stuffed animals, blankets, bedding, furniture and inside suitcases, among other means, and hide when not feeding on blood.”
Read more about Alton Housing Authority Continues to Fight Bed Bugs at: thetelegraph.com
Apartments are some of the places where bed bugs are most-common. The set-up allows them to spread more easily. So once introduced to the building, every unit could be affected by them. Hence, if you live in an apartment or any other type of housing, you must be extra careful to prevent and clear their presence.
But how do you do it?
Bed Bug Prevention in Apartments
Be informed. Interact with your neighbors and exchange information about any bed bug news in the building. That would caution you to be more proactive against bed bugs. It would also come handy to know the landlord-tenant responsibilities in your city in case the pests get past your preventive steps.
- Cover cracks and crevices. As you might already know, bed bugs love to hide in cracks and gaps on just about anything. So before they make a home out of those crevices in your unit, seal or cover them up.
- Check everything that gets into your house. Bed bugs are sneaky and could hitch a ride on almost anything. And so, even your bag or backpack you must check before getting it inside.
- Be cautious in common areas. Particularly, be watchful when in the laundry room or lobby of the building.
- Socialize with caution. Just because bed bugs were sighted in your building, you should already lock yourself in your unit. You could still socialize with your neighbors but its best not to visit them yet in their units.
Bed Bug Elimination on Your Own
Generally, bed bug treatment in an apartment building or complex is a landlord’s responsibility. However, if you prefer to do it yourself or, for some reason, you have no choice but to do the elimination on your own, then you could do the following procedures to kill bed bugs safely and effectively. Just make sure that the infestation is not yet massive and you could handle it yourself.
- Get a bed bug spray. It will make it easier and faster for you to eliminate the pests. But of course, you got to pick the right one. And given that bed bugs have developed resistance for common pesticides, your choice must be a non-pesticide bed bug spray.
- Know the exact location of the infestation. To do that, you would have to conduct inspection. De-clutter the area the area to inspect but make sure you don’t move things out to prevent the transfer of bed bugs.
- Apply the solution. See to it that you spray spot on the infestation.
- Re-inspect. Sneaky as bed bugs are, they could come back despite your preventive measures so continue to inspect for them so you could promptly eliminate them and avoid an all-out infestation.
Which Bed Bug Spray to Get
As mentioned bed bug spray could make your bed bug treatment fast and easy. Nonetheless, not everyone of them could make the process effective and safe.
Bed Bug Bully though is different. Apart from the standard benefits of a bed bug spray as making the elimination fast and easy, it could also make it effective and safe. As it doesn’t contain the elements to which bed bugs have developed resistance for, you could rest assured that it would work on them. Several pest-control companies and hotels have proven that true.
Moreover, that absence of harmful chemicals also makes Bed Bug Bully safe for health. It has already been classified by EPA as pesticide-exempt under FIFRA 25(b). So, you could rest assured that it is truly safe.
See it in action.