Annoying – bed bugs are that kind of problem. They could come to you, cause you problems and in just one small mistake after you eliminated them, they could return. And again, they would bring you the same or even bigger predicament.
But apart from being annoying, bed bugs could also be an expensive problem. They could cost you big and probably even eat up your budget for other things. And as a report has it, that’s exactly what Alton Housing Authority could be facing.
As we shared last week, bed bugs were troubling AHA as apartment complexes under its management were being infested by the pests. To clear them, it was said that the authority already spent $35,000 for bed bug exterminators.
Alton Acres, Oakwood Estates and Alton Manor are all under AHA. They sum up to 246 apartment units under the authority’s management. In case they are all infested by the pesky insects and needs to be treated, it would cost the city nearly $250,000.
To cover the extermination, money allotted for other areas would have to be used. According to Andy Hightower, AHA Executive Director, the Summer Swim and Summer Lunch are the programs that would likely be affected by it.
Read more about AHA Bed Bug Extermination Could Cost $250 000
“The bedbug battle continues in Alton as the city’s housing authority is working to clear its apartments of infestation.
The Alton Housing Authority has already spent $35,000 on exterminations as it combats the spread of the parasites. Alton Acres, Oakwood Estates and Alton Manor are all complexes the AHA oversees.”
Read more about Bed Bugs Could Cost AHA $250K at: kmov.com
There are two things that could make bed bugs such an expensive problem. One is the bed bug treatment and the other is the replacement of the things that they would invade.
Bed Bug Treatment Cost
Actually, it’s the hiring of a bed bug exterminator that would cost you big in a bed bug elimination. One treatment could have you spending at least $1000. That is why for many, getting the service of a pest-control company is reserved only as the last option.
Bed Bug Infested Furniture and Item Replacement Cost
Small as they are, bed bugs could hide on almost any furniture or item. Particularly, they would hide on cracks, crevices and seams of it. Sure, you could still save the bed bug infested piece. But that’s possible only if there are but just a few of the pests. In case of an infestation gone out of control though, apart from the bed bug treatment, you would also likely to spend thousands for the replacement of the items. If you keep those things, they would just cause a repeating bed bug problem.
But the thing is, although bed bug treatment could be expensive, it really doesn’t have to. There are ways to keep its cost low while making the elimination of the pesky insects still effective. Here are those ways.
If you don’t have bed bugs, you don’t have to get rid of them. Following that logic, bed bug prevention is therefore, the way to save yourself from spending anything for a bed bug treatment.
How do you prevent bed bugs though? The following are the steps you need to take.
- Inspect items before letting them inside your house. As you already know, bed bugs could hitchhike on anything. And with that comes the fact that carelessly allowing anything inside your home could trigger a bed bug infestation.
- Avoid secondhand items. The items and furniture pieces you buy from thrift shops could be from places with bed bugs. And though you could always check if they are with bed bugs or not, it’s best to just avoid them altogether given that those pests are very good at hiding.
- Travel safe from bed bugs. Bring only washable items when traveling so you could just launder them when you get back. If ever there are bed bugs in them, washing them in high temperature will easily kill the pests. If you have to stay in a hotel, make a reservation on one with no bed bug record. And before settling in your hotel room, inspect headboard, bed, walls, closet and carpet for any sign of bed bug presence.
Implement Early Bed Bug Elimination
With the enumerated bed bug prevention steps, you could indeed successfully hinder bed bugs from infesting your place. However, bed bugs are sneaky. That means despite your efforts to prevent them, it is still possible that they could start an infestation at your home. Because of that, you should always be ready to launch a bed bug elimination. And to reduce your spending, make sure to get it done early.
The earlier you eliminate bed bugs the fewer of them you have to deal with. That equates to an easier bed bug treatment which you could implement by yourself. As that cuts the need to hire a professional bed bug exterminator, you are spared from spending thousands for a bed bug treatment.
Before you could eliminate bed bugs though, you need to detect them first. And so you could find them early in their infestation, here are some tips:
- See pictures of bed bugs. That would help you identify them right considering that they share a number of similarities with other common indoor pests.
- Watch out for bed bug bites. Bed bugs leave red, itchy and bumpy marks. They are your que to start a bed bug inspection.
- Look for bed bug signs. Those signs would lead you to where bed bugs hide. Particularly, they are the bed bug feces which are small and dark specks, bed bug shed skins and a musty-sweet smell.
A bed bug spray is your best help in a do-it-yourself bed bug treatment. With it, you could speed up the bed bug treatment process and complete it conveniently. And compared with hiring a bed bug exterminator, it surely is much less expensive. Apart from that, with it eliminating bed bugs effectively and early, there is no need to throw away items. That saves you from spending for replacements.
But the problem is, conventional bed bug sprays, which are chemical-based, are not effective against bed bugs anymore. A recent study has discovered that the vampire-like insects could now resist those pesticides. Over the years, they mutated and developed harder exoskeletons and metabolic enzymes that break down toxins in insecticides.
So, for a spray that bed bugs couldn’t resist, you should just use a non-pesticide solution. And the best candidate to pick is Bed Bug Bully.
Unlike the conventional bed bug product, Bed Bug Bully doesn’t contain the chemicals to which bed bugs are immune from. Moreover, the absence of those chemicals makes the product safe. That multiplies the benefits a bed bug spray could provide as aside from making the bed bug treatment easy, inexpensive and effective, it also makes it eco-friendly and health-risks free.
If you want to prove that yourself…