You might have not seen them for real yet but rest assured that bed bugs exist. In fact, they might even be closer to you than you think. And that “might” is something you should not take in stride. Else, what happened to a psychiatric center in New York and an apartment complex in Michigan will also take place in your house.
According to two separate reports, those venues were recently invaded by bed bugs. And needless to say, the pests’ presence troubled the residents.
The report from wivb.com determined Buffalo Psychiatric Center in Buffalo, New York as the psychiatric facility that was particularly infested by bed bugs. It was said that it had been fighting them since March. And while the infestation was being investigated and treated, residents were temporarily transferred.
However, due to more recent bed bug cases, it was said that residents were again relocated. The state though assured that they will keep on monitoring the problem and make sure that the residents are safe from the pests.
Here is a part of the report about Psychiatric Center Infested by Bed Bugs.
“An uncomfortable problem is crawling around the Buffalo Psychiatric Center where an investigation is underway on a bed bug infestation.
Since March, News 4 has learned that the State Department of Mental Health has been working to exterminate bed bugs at the Forest Avenue residence.”
Read more about Bed Bugs Infest Buffalo Psychiatric Center at: wivb.com
Meanwhile, in Michigan, the apartment complex bugged by the blood-fed insects was identified as the Westland Park Apartments. A resident of it said that she found out about the pests a week ago when she saw one on her couch. She added that her neighbors though might have had them weeks before.
Regarding the treatment, the same source relayed that she has already informed the management about the bed bug problem. And it was said, they were verifying the infestation and would pay for the cost of the bed bug treatment needed.
Below is an excerpt from the post Apartment Complex in Michigan Invaded by Bed Bugs.
“Bedbugs are proving to still be a problem across West Michigan.
Residents at one apartment complex in Van Buren County say these insects are causing all sorts of issues, and claim some are being kept in the dark about what’s really going on.
It’s a hard issue to deal with, as many are still constantly fighting against the bugs, and residents at Westland Park Apartments in Mattawan say they’re the next victims.”
Read more about Bed Bugs Plague Michigan Apartment Complex at: wwmt.com
These two incidents of bed bug infestation just prove that bed bugs are becoming more widespread, especially with the coming of the vacation season. And with that comes the warning that you should be extra careful not to make any contact with them. Otherwise, your house would be the next one they would barge in.
But the question is – what could you do to prevent them from coming in? Well, actually, there are a lot of things that you could do.
Avoid Bed Bugs While Traveling
Let’s have first those steps that you could take while traveling.
- Stay in a bed-bug-free hotel. As you might already know, hotels are some of the places most-commonly infested by the pests. Check online if the one where you plan to stay in got a bed bug history.
- Check your hotel room for any sign of bed bugs. How do you do that? Leave your luggage outside and inspect the room. Particularly, look for bed bug signs as dark small spots, discarded shells and a musty-sweet smell. Search the common items infested by the pests as the mattress, headboard, closet, carpet, and wall hangings.
- Request for another room if you see any sign of the pests. Immediately report to the management any bed bug symptom you find and request for a transfer. If it’s the same thing with the new room, it would be best to just transfer to another hotel.
- When everything’s set, let your luggage in but don’t put them directly to the floor. Find a rack or any other elevated item where to deposit them to prevent bed bugs from easily sneaking in.
- After your return, launder all washable items you brought back at a high temperature. Those items you couldn’t wash you could spray with a bed bug spray.
- When riding a bus, taxi, plane or train, watch where you sit. Bed bugs could also be on the seats of them.
Prevent Bed Bugs
Now, when not traveling, here are the steps you must take to prevent the infestation.
- Inspect your house for bed bugs regularly. That will help you detect their presence early and get rid of it before it blows up into an infestation.
- Avoid getting secondhand items. They could be from places with bed bugs.
- Don’t just let anybody get inside your house. He or she could be a carrier of bed bugs.
- Cover cracks and crevices. You know that the pests love to hide in those. If you cover them, you limit their hiding spots.
- De-clutter your home. Contrary to what many think, bed bug infestation is not a sign of lack of sanitation. But still, de-cluttering your home would give them fewer spots to hide on. And in case a few of them sneak in your home, it would be easier to spot and eliminate them thus avoiding a massive infestation.
Eliminate Bed Bugs
But while the steps given are surely a big help in avoiding the bed bug infestation, it is possible for those pests to still infests a place. That’s because bed bugs are sneaky. They could hitch a ride on items sometimes you would not think they would hide in. The fact that they are fast-paced doesn’t help either.
With that said, apart from implementing those steps to bed bug preventive steps, you must also learn how to do an elimination by yourself. That will help enable you to do an immediate bed bug treatment that could prevent a massive infestation.
And to make it a load much lighter for your budget, here are the things what you must take to successfully eliminate the pests.
- Determine the exact location of the infestation. But of course, that would require you to inspect. And so you could find them faster and easier, bring with a magnifying glass and flashlight and check on dark crevice, cracks and gaps. Those are their favorite hangout. Also watch out for the signs of bed bugs as they would lead you to where the infestation is.
- Isolate the area infested. Seal cracks and gaps where bed bugs could escape or hide to.
- Clear the area. Remove the furniture from the spot where the infestation is but don’t move it out. You could transfer the pests to other rooms if you do. It will also help easily find the pests if you put your clothes and smaller in a clear plastic bag. If there are bed bugs in them, once disturbed, they would come out but would be trapped.
- Prepare your bed bug spray. Choose Bed Bug Bully. It has more benefits to offers than all the other bed bug sprays.
- Spray the solution directly on the infestation and around it.
Why Pick Bed Bug Bully?
True, there are now so many bed bug sprays out there. But why choose Bed Bug Bully? There are several reasons to that. For one, it makes the bed bug treatment easy like all bed bug sprays do. However, apart from that, it also makes the entire process effective without compromising anyone’s health.
In fact, pest-control companies, hotels and hospitals have been using it for years already after proving that it truly works. And besides that, EPA has already classified it as pesticide-exempt under FIFRA 25(b).
If you want, you could prove it yourself today.