A spot of mold was discovered in Meridian Elementary and Junior High School in Mounds, Illinois last May. But what was thought to be just a patch of spores was actually a ‘million-dollars’ problem in one of the campus buildings.
School officials discovered the mold presence when the paint in one of the classrooms’ wall peeled off. And as the architect called-in revealed, there were three species of mold growing in it. One of which is said to be toxic.
The only good thing the school administration learned about the problem was that the mold isn’t airborne yet. However, Bob Huff, the architect who conducted the assessment, said that the toxic black mold in the building could present a real danger to anyone exposed to it in six months. He added that its toxicity could even cause death.
To fix the problem, Terry Moreland, the Meridian School District Superintendent, stated that they could either repair what’s needed or add a new wing to the high school building. But either way, it could cost the district up to $6 million. To decide which action to take, the school called for a board meeting on Wednesday night.
Read more about Mold Troubled Illinois School
“What started as a patch-up job is turning into a dangerous and expensive problem.
Administrators at Meridian Elementary and Junior High in Mounds, Illinois discovered a spot of mold on the wall of a classroom when paint peeled off a wall, at the end of May.
They called in architects to the school, who took multiple samples of the air and then the mold itself. School leaders received those results last week.”
Read more about Toxic Mold Could Cost Mounds School Millions at: wpsdlocal6.com
Mold definitely risks health. And some of its species termed as “toxic mold” could indeed cause death.
But even the many non-toxic mold could still bring allergies, coughing, difficulty in breathing and many other health risks. Not to mention, their presence badly affects the visual appeal of surfaces and items.
And so, whether that one growing in your house is a toxic mold or not, you have to eliminate it. But the question is – how do you do it?
Mold Remediation Choices
Generally, you have two options of mold removal. The first one is to hire a mold contractor to get it done and the second is to do-it-yourself. Let’s take a deeper look at each of them.
- Hiring a Mold Contractor
Between the two major classifications of mold remediation methods, this is the one that offers you no work at all. But in exchange, you would have to pay big.
A single mold removal nowadays could cost at least $1000. And worse, several mold removal companies look more on the opportunity to earn money than to help you with your mold problem. Though what you have is just a small patch of mold or none at all, some of them would say you got a wide infestation and would even recommend an expensive solution.
Because of its high cost and risk of fraud, those who can afford a professional mold remediation are very careful when hiring a mold contractor. And so should you if you plan to go for this option.
But what if you are one of those who couldn’t afford a pro mold removal service or simply one who would rather go for the cheaper means? Well, there is always the do-it-yourself mold treatment for you to implement. Just make sure though that the mold infestation is not more than 10 square feet and that you are sure you could handle the work.
- Do-It-Yourself Mold Remediation
In contrast to the hiring of a mold contractor, personal mold treatment is cheaper. However, you would have to do the process by yourself, just as said.
To get this method done, you could use a mix of soap and water or a bleach solution to wash the mold off. But, you would have to do some brushing to completely remove the spores. And needless to say, that would eat some of your time, especially if the infestation covers quite a wide area.
Get It Done With Molderizer
If you use Molderizer though, you could speed up your do-it-yourself mold remediation. The product is very effective that there is no need for you to scrub for hours just to finish the whole process.
Unlike other mold sprays, it kills spores from roots to tips. And it does that by basically changing the spores’ DNA make-up.
What’s more is that it is organic-based. Most of the mold removal products sold these days are made with chemical ingredients. And the spraying of those solutions leave harmful smell and residues that endanger human health and pollute the environment.
Molderizer does the exact opposite of that. Because of the absence of strong chemicals and the presence of organic elements in its formulation, it emits no foul or dangerous odor. Instead, it deodorizes the area and freshens up that musty odor that mold produces.
And here’s another good thing about it – it has been signed off by OCI chemist for authenticity with MSDS Recommended Mold Cleaning Kit of 2009 and 2010.
But of course, to be really safe from mold, you couldn’t just stop at mold removal.
Moisture is everywhere, especially with today’s many storms and flooding incidents. And because it triggers mold growth, the spores could return to your home anytime. You have to prevent that or else, you’re going back to square one.
Block Mold Return
Mold prevention is made up of a number of steps. And to make it work, you have to regularly take those steps.
Why you ask? That’s because mold grows within 24-48 hours in a wet or moist item or surface. That means if you do not take preventive measures on a regular basis, you expose your house to mold presence.
You don’t have to worry though. Regularly implementing those steps wouldn’t take so much of your time. In fact, instead of ‘steps,’ you could just call them everyday practices to block the mold out. And they are the following.
- Keep the air flowing. Make sure your house has enough ventilation. You could use exhaust fans or you could open your windows.
- Keep the humidity level low. A dehumidifier or an air conditioner could help you achieve that. Humidity level inside the house or building should be not higher than 50% all throughout the day.
- Dry bathrooms and kitchens after using. You could wipe the floors, walls and fixtures to get that done of you could use a fan.
- In case of flood, clean and dry the whole house, including all the soaked items, within 24-48 hours.
- Fix any leak anywhere in your house. It is a source of moisture and it encourages mold growth.
- Replace fabric-made items that were soaked. Examples of them are curtains, carpets and tablecloths that were in use. Of course, they also got to be washed and dried as soon as possible.
Apply a Mold Inhibitor
Besides those steps though, applying a mold inhibitor is also essential in preventing the spore’s return. So, right after the spraying of Molderizer, you should also apply a mold prevention solution to the treated surface or item.
And among the many in the market, Safe Shield is the best mold inhibitor to get. As it is also made with organic ingredients, it works perfectly with Molderizer.
See How Well the Products Work!