A library in the University of Maryland was struck by mold. And according to the report, the fungus left it with thousands of damaged books.
McKeldin Library was particularly that facility soiled by the spores. It was said that the unusual summer weather and the old heating, ventilation and air conditioning system of the affected area were the root causes of the problem.
Specifically, the mold infestation was reported to be in the fifth floor of the library and was discovered in August 09. The floor contains 200, 000 books. About 10 to 20 percent of that number was mold contaminated.
As a result of the infestation, the floor was closed for an indefinite time. Library staff and volunteers then commenced the sorting and shifting of the materials to a better ventilated area. The facility also planned to clean all the books in the fifth floor whether it is contaminated or not.
However, the mold clean-up would have to wait until the sorting is finished. And as said, it would cost the facility around $100,000 and it could last for months.
Read more about Mold Infested University of Virginia Library
“Library staff members have closed McKeldin’s fifth floor until further notice after discovering an outbreak of nontoxic mold Aug. 9, according to a library spokesman.
Thousands of books were affected by the mold, said library spokesman Eric Bartheld. Library staff and a specialized contractor will clean all the shelves, and every book on the floor will be wiped down and vacuumed, a process that could take months”
Read more about Mold Damaged Thousand of McKedlin Library Books at: diamondbackonline.com
Mold feeds on any organic matter that it grows on. It consumes their nutrients leaving them discolored and deteriorated.
However, physical or structural damage is not the worst that a mold infestation could bring. More than anything, its negative effects on health is what you should be worrying. Particularly, allergies, asthma, breathing difficulties and lung and nose bleeding are some of the conditions linked to its presence that you should be careful with.
Nonetheless, you have to make sure that the product or products you will use for the process are safe apart from effective. So, instead of getting the conventional chemical-based mold sprays, go for the ones that are organic-based. And being exactly that – organic-based, Molderizer and Safe Shield are your best choices.
With its natural ingredients, Molderizer kills mold spores effectively and quickly by changing their DNA make-up. Safe Shield, on the other hand, provides an additional layer to the surface that blocks spores and prevents another infestation. And the best part is, those benefits have already been proven true hospitals, hotels and even mold contractors themselves.
Try the two products today and experience their benefits yourself.