Your car, more than just being an everyday necessity, can be a good and worthy investment if properly taken cared of. Rusting is one of the most feared monsters among car owners. If you are planning to re-sell your cars, rusting will definitely lower down the sale price so you might as well be aware of these several rust removal tips to keep your car looking brand new for a long period of time.
- Your first step will be to prepare the rust spot to for paint application. If you’re doing this in your car body, the process will work two-way. Apart from repaint preparation, it will also serve as a cosmetic repair by creating a perfectly shaped surface which is free of defects and evenly smooth.
- Remove the rust using a metal grinding wheel. You need to be very careful when doing this process since this can cause removal of materials very quickly. After doing so, use sand paper to manually remove the rust spots then dust-off. You may apply your favorite rust stain remover after you dust-off the rust spot. Do so by wiping a clean cloth on the affected area.
- If you see dents in your car body, you may use body fillers to fill in pits, gaps and dents and to keep it looking smoothly. These products are available in your favorite auto part stores.
- After you have completed the surface preparation, it’s time to tape off the rusted area. Blue painter’s tape is highly encouraged for this process because they do not leave a sticky residue after being removed. You may also apply auto body primer Apply thin coats instead of thick ones. After the third coat has been applied, let it fry overnight.
- Just like your primer, the paint should also be applied in thin coats. The advised number of coats is three but some opt for four or more to achieve a deeper looking finish. If you have successfully matched the colors, you may use more coats until the repaired area blends seamlessly. However, if you failed in matching the colors, thin coats will work best as to you won’t want the area to be visually different.
Allow the final coat of paint to cure overnight to give then give the car a good wash to help blend the repaired area into the original finish.
These are easy tips to Remove rust – sure to keep your cars looking brand new and worthy of your investment.