Occasionally, we want to take the family out of the house for a breath of fresh air and extra-ordinary fun. One of the most common outdoor activities which truly bring excitement to the whole family is a campout. All you need is a tent and lots of food then you’re off to go wherever you’re headed to. Wherever you go – whether in the mountainside or by the beach – it is always advisable that you bring pocket knives for your convenience and immediate needs. Since pocket knives are seldom used, they become very prone to rusting. Here are tips to remove rust from your pocket knives before hiking in the woods or camping with the kids.
- First, you need to use a soft cloth or a soft-bristled toothbrush to remove dirt or any residue from your pocket knife. When doing so, you may use light weight oil for your lubricant. Avoid using water. Water encourages further rust.
- To remove rust from your pocket knife, apply a coat of oil then allow the knife to set for several days. Make sure that you wipe the knife afterwards using a soft and clean cloth. In cases where rust persists, you may also use your favorite rust remover for a more thorough removal. Another alternative is scraping the rust spots with a sharp and clean knife. Just be extra careful when removing the rust. Make sure that you leave the original blade undamaged.
- Once again, with a soft cloth, apply another coat of oil. Wipe off the excess oil then leave another thin coat for protection of the blade.
- You may also try a very easy old home remedy. All you need is a raw potato. Simply insert the blade of the knife into the potato and let it set overnight. After doing so, remove the knife and keep it clean using a tooth brush and a soft cloth. Rinse and dry thoroughly afterwards.
- Another way to clean the blade and dissolve rust is by using lemon juice. The juice loosens the rust and makes it easier to remover. Allow the knife to set for over 15 minutes with the blade wrapped in a cloth. Cleanly scrub afterwards then dry.
With these easy five rust removal tips, you are sure to have a lot of outdoor fun and playtime with your family!