A car’s value depreciates over a short period of time. This is why more and more people are opting for second-hand cars instead of brand new cars. Buying a secondhand car is considered to be a wise and brilliant way to save up and because everybody is in dire need of savings to maintain debt diet, secondhand cars are now being taken advantage not just by buyers but more importantly, by re-sellers. All car owners can join in the buy and sell business as long as they keep their cars looking brand new. To do so, you need to be able to locate the rust prone areas before you could thoroughly remove rust from your car . Bear these tips in mind when searching for rust.
- Your wheel wells and your fenders behind the tires are two of the most prone areas to rust. These areas are considered to be the “war zones” where stones hit causing chips in the paint. Flying stones from other cars can also hit the front of your car which makes this part as another problem area.
- If you are a buyer of a secondhand car, get a flashlight and check underneath the car behind the front and rear tires in both sides. Before you do this; however, make sure that the car’s emergency brake is engaged. Continue to light and check the fenders and the wheel wells. You simply need to watch out for body fillers which look like hardened putty from your point of view.
- You can do away with idea of rust removal if only you take seriously your rust prevention tips. Maximize rust prevention. When detecting how far up body fillers go, you can use a sound test. You should be able to hear a tiny metal sound.
- Cars which look like “swiss cheese” are very prone to rusting. It could be that it has been affected by rusting for a couple of times or that it is currently still rusting and you just don’t know how to properly detect it. If you’re a buyer and you don’t want to lose the deal, don’t buy cars in this condition.
- Another tip for buyers is avoiding cars with fresh paint. You don’t paint a car just because its color faded. It could be that the rust area was big enough that rust removers could not work on it anymore and so the car was painted to keep it looking rust free and shiny.
Whether you’re buying or selling a car, keep these things in mind to give and get good deals.